Beamdog is looking for an experienced game design manager to help build up and improve the design practice within Beamdog, and level up the design team to drive excellence in both process and execution. The design manager will lead a team of energetic systems, narrative, UX, and level designers, and work closely and directly with the Project Director to define the next generation of Beamdog titles.
The Design Manager is responsible for providing guidance and mentorship, and setting and maintaining standards for the design team in translating the vision of the Project Director into a tangible, high-quality game.
This job is located in Edmonton, AB. Relocation Assistance is available for eligible candidates
- Embody Beamdog Core Values; demonstrate and encourage/motivate others in the display of the values set
- Coordinate and collaborate with the Project Director to establish and execute on a coherent project vision, and transform high-level concepts to actionable and deliverable designs.
- Set and maintain a high standard of design & execution quality for oneself and the rest of the design team
- Establish and maintain standards of game design documentation, and ensure consistent and up-to-date design documentation with the design team.
- Establish design pillars and conventions for projects and review implementation to ensure accuracy
- Maintain standards of technical design execution in in-engine scripting tools.
- Oversee the planning and execution of game mechanics and features, and provide guidance & feedback to the design team on designs & design documentation
- Take ownership of sections of gameplay and ensure delivery of working features within established timelines
- When necessary, provide direct assistance to the design and development team, including scripting and fine-tuning of mechanics
- Assist other team leaders in integrating the design process into a scrum agile framework
- 5+ years practical experience in video game design
- 3+ years experience of demonstrated experience managing and mentoring teams
- Must be able to communicate regarding technical aspects of design with programming teams
- Understanding of interdisciplinary dependencies and the ability to anticipate and proactively design around gameplay challenges
- Experience with common scripting languages (Lua, Blueprint)
- Experience with, and understanding of best practices in developing in Unreal Engine 4
- Knowledge of UI/UX design principles
- Knowledge and understanding of CRPG systems
- Technical background
- 3+ years working in an agile development, preferably on a variety of team types
Beamdog is a fantastic place to work with a friendly and creative atmosphere. Located in Edmonton, Alberta, we’re a hardworking team of passionate game developers who love the games we work on. Since 2009, we’ve brought enhanced versions of classic Dungeons & Dragons games and exciting original content to fans new and old. We’re best known for bringing beloved isometric roleplaying games like Baldur’s Gate™ and Planescape: Torment™ back to life on desktop and tablets as Enhanced Editions. We love rich stories where players can chose their own journey and the communities that spring up around them. If you’re excited about storytelling games, Dungeons & Dragons, and classic RPGs, stick around! You haven’t seen anything yet!
We offer the following perks:
- Vision, dental, and health benefits, plus extended healthcare coverage
- RRSP matching program
- Generous time off for vacation, sick days, and personal days
- Transit passes & heated underground parking
- Fully-paid gym memberships
- Lunch and Learns
- Flexible working hours
- Casual dress code
Diversity is fundamentally about valuing human differences and recognizing that a diverse group of people bring with them a diverse set of skills which is necessary to propel our company forward. Beamdog is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome applications from all qualified persons. We do not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, colour, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any other legally protected status.
To apply for this job please visit www.beamdog.com.