Beamdog, the company behind the Baldur’s Gate, Icewind Dale, Planescape: Torment, and Neverwinter Nights Enhanced Editions, is looking for a Concept Artist to join our fast growing team working on exciting new projects!
Reporting to the Art Lead this position is responsible for to create and quickly iterate on clean, purposeful art concepts. The concept artist should have a combination of strong creative/visual aesthetics, excellent design skills, and a clear rendering style in designing both characters and environments.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Help develop a visual style for established and/or brand new IPs
- Create concepts that communicate the stylistic language and game mechanics to other artists, designers and production team members
- Determine the content of your artwork with the Art Direction and Level Design teams;
- Iterate quickly with concept sketches and 3D to provide options for the Art Director;
- Create final polished concept art to environments that are so realistic that it makes you want to dive right in
- Create a variety of artworks such as paint overs, mood concepts, call-out sheets, quick photo bashed sketches, etc.
- Ensuring art quality meets expectations and direction from the Leads/Art Managers
- Contribute to the creation and development of the visual style of a project
- Participate in the production and creation of visual elements of a defined project
Core Skill Requirements:
- Proficient technical skills and expertise working in Photoshop and Illustrator, with experience in the Adobe Creative Suite
- Understanding of technical Pipelines and all the processes required to make a game
- Degree, diploma or certificate in Art and/or Design
- Proven portfolio showing an ability to manage diverse styles
- Maya, Adobe Adobe suite (Animate, Photoshop, Illustrator) AfterEffect, Premiere
- Texturing skills and experience working with Unity or Unreal or other game engines
- Familiar with the principles of media optimization for video gaming and other digital platforms
- Strong sense of color, design and shapes
- Ability to give characters life and personality
- Ability to take a character or environment from idea all the way to finished art.
- Superb imagination and creativity
Beamdog is a fantastic place to work with a friendly and creative atmosphere. Located in Edmonton, Alberta, we’re a hardworking team of passionate game developers who love the games we work on. Since 2009, we’ve brought enhanced versions of classic Dungeons & Dragons games and exciting original content to fans new and old. We’re best known for bringing beloved isometric roleplaying games like Baldur’s Gate™ and Planescape: Torment™ back to life on desktop and tablets as Enhanced Editions. We love rich stories where players can chose their own journey and the communities that spring up around them. If you’re excited about storytelling games, Dungeons & Dragons, and classic RPGs, stick around! You haven’t seen anything yet!
We offer the following perks:
- Vision, dental, and health benefits, plus extended healthcare coverage
- RRSP matching program
- Generous time off for vacation, sick days, and personal days
- Transit passes & heated underground parking
- Fully-paid gym memberships
- Lunch and Learns
- Flexible working hours
- Casual dress code
Diversity is fundamentally about valuing human differences and recognizing that a diverse group of people bring with them a diverse set of skills which is necessary to propel our company forward. Beamdog is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome applications from all qualified persons. We do not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, colour, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any other legally protected status.
To apply for this job please visit www.beamdog.com.